Friday, September 09, 2005

SIGHTS FROM HOME (Bus from Dequin back to to Zhong Dian)

THE LANDSCAPE here is harsh and varied. As we leave we pass over mountaintop fields of tundra - similar to what you might see around Kosiusco. As we zig-zag through mountain ranges we drop down from the tundra into connifers and pines - being close to the glacier the environment is still relatively lush. I imagine Colorado looks like this - all mountain ranges and pine trees. As we drive on further it dries out and the only thing that will grow in the shale and clay are small spinifex bushes.

As the bus paused for a moment, the driver checking the radiator - a familiar sight caught my eye. A 20 foot gumtree stood there enjoying the sun. I did a double take: gumtrees in China? Yep - it was in a row of five.

"G'day mate" he said to me - recognising a fellow Australian.
"Ow's it goin'" I was pleased to respond.
"Ripper mate - I get to sit and sunbake all day, the view of the valley is tops. 'Reckon I got it made. Plus - all the other trees are wooses. "
The bus was starting up.
"Seeya, " I offered.
"Ava good weegend!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home