Saturday, September 03, 2005

THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY (SINGAPORE AIRLINES FLIGHT SQ232)

AS OUR plane takes off my pen skates across the page on my pad - recording thoughts, experiences, hopes, anecdotes and unmet expectation.

There is a scene in the movie 'The Gods must be crazy' in which the heroine travels across Africa in a crowded yellow bus. The bus is filled with people holding goats and cages of chickens.

When I last travelled to China I hunted around on the Internet for the best ticket - which turned out to be with Air China. My father initially surprised that I would choose such an airline - dealt with the matter with his usual satire. (On this point I concede parental conditioning).

"Air China? You'll be travelling with cages of chickens on that flight!"

The comment got me quite hopeful. I imagined walking out over the tarmac of Sydney airport - getting into the hold of a WWII style turbo-prop bomber. Sailing over the clouds jammed between wooden crates and cages of goats in a dark and dingy cabin a la Indiana Jones. I packed extra museli bars and water just in case.

The reality was disappointingly mundane. The factory production lines of Boeing and Lockheed Martin have made airline cabins austerely uniform. I spent the flight sitting in an ordinary seat, the only Anglo surrounded by Asians. Still, nothing unusual - I did I.T. at UTS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home